Shark ransomware with a new name Atom. What to expect?
Atom ransomware. How to remove Atom virus.
Atom ransomware, once before know as a Shark project has a new brand. The Shark ransomware project first came across in July 2016 as an affiliate platform. Now the new Atom affiliate program, offers some improvements to anyone who wants to get involved cyber-crime business. A new name or brand can mean only one thing, security vendors has cracked the ransomware or espoused Shark developers. Which made cyber criminals to the upgrade.
Atom ransomware is almost the same as its previous Shark version. Just like Shark, Atom ransomware affiliate platform is available public internet and hosted by WordPress, rather than being a TOR secure website. Anyone who wants to be ransomware distributor can visit the web site be one.
The bad news is that Atom project offers to create customized ransomware without without any technical knowledge or experience. With a few clicks of a button and filling out a form, Atom project gives even bigger opportunity to less skilled cyber criminals to develop a ransomware. Which means that when you get infected with ransomware like this, the change of something goes wrong is bigger. It works like a affiliate platform and the project developers keep 20% of the ransom payments and leave the rest as a affiliate commission to distributors.
Atom ransomware website:
Atom ransomware developers managed to hides its admin WordPress login panel, however security researchers can still find some traces of WordPress plugins codes. Atom also comes with new payload and the executable, providing cyber criminals the option to complete customization. The biggest difference between Shark and Atom ransomware is that the new Atom executable is fully working, rather than Shark configuration code. Thing with Atom are getting easier for low skill developers. The features that Atom builder 1.02 offers are: BTC (Bitcoin) address, the amount of ransom demand and list of extensions for encryption.
Once crooks compile the Atom builder they will have to distribute the ransom to potential vicitms. Just like Shark, the Atom developers will get 20% of the payments by vicitms. As any ransomware, Atom is developed to encrypt user files and demand them. Victim’s files will be locked and no longer able to open. User will have to pay usually in bitcoin to unlock files. Once Atom ransomware finish with the encryption it will inform user with a ransom note, along with further instructions. Paying is not recommended due to numerous reasons.
How to protect against ransomware is most frequently asked questions in the past year. Since ransomware has become the biggest threat among all viruses, people ask themselves if there’s a way to protect from such. It is already too late if you once suffered ransom attack and file has been locked. For some there is a solution but for others disappointment. Either way popularity of ransomware rises and new development are presented every day.
What can we do against the battle with ransomware?
- If you are already infected do not pay the ransom! Remove the virus and look for other solutions rather than paying. Paying the ransom may be your only option if you have really valuable data. However we do not recommend doing this because you will support the work of criminals. The risk of losing money and still stuck with encrypted files since there is no guarantee in any way that you will recover what one is lost.
- Security researcher are always working on recovery solutions. Not all ransomware are professionally developed and being cracked, but some are so good developed that there is no current way to be beaten at the current date. One of the solutions is system restore.
- Best solution is if you have a backup, wipe your hard drive and perform system restore. If not, backup your data frequently. Store backup data in any removable storage device or use any online backup services.
- Protect your computer with antivirus, internet security, anti-malware software or new developed applications like anti-ransomware. Highly recommended is to keep it up to date and use the paid surveys. We do not recommend free applications.
Now that you have been infected you have a few options:
Many suggest that you simply pay and hope that you will get all off your data back. However in this case you risk losing money and still being stuck with crypted files. We do not recommend this way simply because you will support the work of hackers and the more money thay get the stronger they will become.
The best option for you is if you have a backup, wipe your hard drive and perform system restore.
Use any type of anti malware software to remove Atom Ransomware.
NOTE: In this option the virus will be removed but the files will remain locked! You have to decrypt your files.
New research discovery shows how ransomware deletes files and substitute encrypted copy of them. It is not guaranteed, but it is a possibility that you may recover your files with data recovery software. Before trying to decrypt any files you can scan your computer for posible data loss.
Decrypt Atom Ransomware files with .locked extension.
Good news is that we can now use decryption programs. A lot of security companies like Kasperky lab, bitdefender and more has developed a program that is fully capable of decryption key for ransomware malware. You can find this programs anywhere on the internet but it is strongly suggested to download this programs from official websites. NOTE: It may take a long time for your files to be decrypted depending on your PC performance.
- Name – Atom
- Type Spamming – Malware, Ransomware, Trojan Horse
- Danger Level – High
- Brief Description – Encrypt files and demand ransom.
- Symptoms – Poor pc performance or freezing, ransom massages.
- Method – Via Trojan Horse or spam email.
Note: Removing Atom Ransomware manually could be very risky and unpredictable!
To remove this virus we suggest you follow the step by step instructions we provided. Since ransomware virus creates variety of malicious modified registry entries and different files, we strongly advise you to use anti-malware tool. Removing the virus manually requires high computer skills and knowledge.